06 May CONVECTIVE OVERLAY
Posted at 02:59h in Live WX Data Feeds
- The Convective Layer will show forecasted areas of convection (thunderstorms) across the globe and is based off forecasted model data out to 36 hours.
- The Convective Layer is derived via the Global Forecast System (GFS) numerical model convective parameters and QPF output.
- orecasted regions of convection are color-coded highlighting areas of light, moderate and heavy thunderstorms with a legend provided when this layer is viewed via the TOPS platform.
- The Convective Layer provides areas of forecasted thunderstorms 6 hours, 12 hours, 18 hours, 24 hours, 30 hours and 36 hours in advance across the globe via the GFS.
- The Convective Overlay is updated 4 times per day via the GFS numerical model 00Z, 06Z, 12Z and 18Z data. The Convective Overlay refresh time and rate via the TOPS platform is per the following: 05:05Z, 11:05Z, 17:05Z and 23:05Z every day.
This is an example screenshot of the Convective Layer via the TOPS Flight Watch platform.