01 Jun UPPER WIND OVERLAY
Posted at 15:41h in Live WX Data Feeds
UPPER WIND OVERLAY
- The Upper Wind Layer provides forecasted winds at several levels across the globe highlighting upper troughs, upper ridges and jet stream regions across the world with wind intensity color coded.
- The Upper Wind Layer also provides standard wind barbs depicting speed and direction within the layer for further verification of the above listed upper level features.
- The Upper Wind Layer is derived via the Global Forecast System (GFS) numerical model forecasted wind parameters from FL180 to FL450 with a legend provided when viewed via the TOPS platform.
- The Upper Wind layer provides forecasted upper level winds at FL180 (500mb), FL240 (400mb), FL300 (300mb), FL340 (250mb), FL390 (200mb) and FL450 (150mb) with forecasts provided 6 hours, 12 hours, 18 hours, 24 hours, 30 hours and 36 hours in advance.
- The Upper Wind Overlay is updated 4 times per day via the GFS numerical model 00Z, 06Z, 12Z and 18Z data. The refresh time and rate for the Upper Wind Overlay via TOPS is updated per the following: 03:15Z, 09:15Z, 15:15Z and 21:15Z every day.
This is an example screenshot of the Upper Wind Layer via the TOPS Flight Watch platform.